Sylvi the ancient one is having another go at this fun (??) way to keep everyone up to date...
Hopefully, here's a copy of Mim's' e-mail re the 'mystery' reference in the April 14th notice -
Hi all,
Hope everyone’s well and looking
forward to 2013, and best wishes to Sarah and Andi.
Just a note to explain Rog’s cryptic
reference to the “mystery” re the family gathering in
April:
Some of you may be aware that
Mum/Nanny Marj had a cousin, Ella, who has lived in New York since the end of
the second world war. For some years after Marj died, Ella used to phone me at
Christmas time for a brief chat, which was fun.
Well Ella is now 90, and her
daughter Pam has been in contact with myself and Sylvi expressing a desire to
consolidate a connection with her mother’s Australian relatives. Given that
neither Ella nor Marj had any siblings, and their cousins are long deceased,
that pretty much amounts to us lot.
Pam would love to come here and meet
us all, but has developed a fear of flying. I’ve also had a desire to see Ella
before she became too elderly (health-wise she’s very good; short term
memory-wise…not so good). So Sylvi and I have put our heads together and decided
I’ll go see them.
What we were hoping then, is to have
the opportunity to take an up-to-date family photo or two, that will enable me
to “put faces to names” and give Pam (and her brother Barry) a sense of her
Aussie cousins.
As I’ve booked to fly out in late
April, the 14th seemed ok as a gathering date, hoping that fitted
around the various holidays in March, Easter and school
holidays.
Now we’ve just heard that Jess and
Andrew may be busy with a new baby then, and everyone has lots of commitments,
and anything can happen between now and April, so if anyone can’t come on the
day it would just be great if you could email me a current photo of yourselves
to complete the picture.
Any enquiries are welcome.
Thanks, and lots of love,
Mims
This is a great thing to do, Miri.
ReplyDeleteI remember Marj talking about her cousin Ella, and as she's now 90, there's no better time to do it!
Thanks Pen. Ella will still be able to enjoy a visit, and also Pam will have better sense of "belonging". She has had very little contact with her father or his family since she was young (she'd be about 60 now) and that's one reason she is so keen to reach us. I hope I'm up to representing our mob to them.
DeleteHere Here ... I guess fear of flying could be a bit limiting when it comes to engaging more with distant relatives, but (if they are up to it) we could maybe set up a Skype session...
ReplyDeleteYes, I have in mind to encourage Pam to set up skype if she hasn't already got it, as it would be ideal in the circumstances.
DeleteWell Sylvi your efforts were rewarded. Well done you!
ReplyDelete